The Quattro Canti Square (The Four Corners)October 16, 2018
This octagonal square, called Teatro del Sole (Sun Theatre), lies at the crossroads of two of the most important streets in Palermo: via Maqueda and Corso Vittorio Emanuele.
These four corners were built in order to divide the town into four districts and also because of the erection of a new road: via Maqueda.
The monument was built in 1661 in baroque style. Each coin of the square is divided into three orders. Starting from the lowest one, different characters are represented:
– statues portraying the four seasons;
– the Spanish kings Charles V, Philip II, Philip IV and Philip III;
– the four patron saints of the town: St. Cristina, St. Ninfa, St. Oliva and St. Agata; each saint is considered patron of the district behind her.